Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Tao of Cycling

The wind pounded my face again this morning on the ride to work. Despite a breakfast chocked full of carbs and protein, I had to dig down deep for the stamina to keep going. Yes, I called her every name of which my exhausted mind could conceive. Still, she laughed.

Somewhere between the time when I thought my kneecaps were falling off and and the time I was sure my quadriceps were on fire I started wondering what I might be able to learn from this. From the wind. And, if the wind has taught me a thing or two, maybe I've learned from the other elements as well. Let's see.

The wind, so far, has taught me perseverance. That no matter how depleted I might believe myself to be, there's always something left inside. I'm so much stronger than I know. I only have to exercise the will, and obstacles will fall.

Fire, on the other hand, teaches me detachment. The importance of keeping material possessions to a bare minimum. That said possessions are a ball and chain. The danger occurs when an emotional investment is made in these. Fragility and impermanence must be firmly kept at the forefront of consciousness.

Fire also speaks to me of cleaning house, not merely of material things, but of anything which has outlived its relevance. This can be anything from a thought or behavior pattern, to an unhealthy relationship. Fire is quick, and sanitizes completely.

Water teaches me the art of surrender. Not a constant surrender which would indicate weakness, rather of choosing which fights are worthwhile and walking away from the rest. Of giving up the need to always be right. I honestly believe Muhammed Ali in his prime could pulverize Mike Tyson, but if you feel differently, I'm not going to waste my energy defending my point of view. It's just not that important to me.

Earth says that sometimes the best course of action is no action at all. Like the majestic Redwood or a huge ugly boulder, just sitting still and keeping our mouth shut, in the right setting, can say more than if we published a book.

Like the boulder, sometimes it's important to stand our ground, no matter what the wind, fire, and water decide to do. To hunker down and do what we know is right. Like the Redwood, we can bend a little as long as our roots remain intact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments-[ comments.]
hit counter html code
View My Stats