Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Looney Tunes

While sitting at the BP traffic light yesterday morning, a guy yells out to me, "Hey, Looney Tunes!" Before he could mutter another syllable, I asserted, "You're throwing 3 bucks a gallon down your gas tank, and I'm looney tunes?" His little mind obviously couldn't grasp much beyond name-calling, and as he struggled for words, the light changed and I was on my way.

I honestly don't believe gas prices are too high. In fact, I still think they are incredibly low. On what do I base this? Everywhere I look, I see oversized trucks and SUV's. That tells me that, as a whole, our society doesn't really give a shit about 3 bucks a gallon. My guess is that it won't matter until the majority is faced with some tough decisions. Decisions like, "Am I going to put gas in the car this month or pay my electric bill?" Most of us haven't felt this kind of bite and, until we do, I say gas prices aren't high enough.

How high is too high? We've got a way to go. I'd say about 10 to 20 bucks a gallon might get some of the sleepers to at least take some notice. You say 10 or 20 bucks will never happen? Three or four years ago we would have said the same about three bucks. It's gonna happen.

But then, what do I know? I'm Looney Tunes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments-[ comments.]
hit counter html code
View My Stats